The London Book Fair (LBF), the UK’s biggest gathering of international publishers and agents, is delighted to announce its Author HQ events programme. This is the area of the Fair dedicated to indie authors and aspiring writers and is sponsored by IngramSpark and Kindle Direct Publishing and supported by The Combined Book Exhibit Author Services.
Authors, literary agents, publishers and a whole range of industry experts have been lined up to speak in a packed three-day seminar programme designed to provide the knowledge, tools and insight writers need to make informed decisions about getting their work published.
Genre spotlights this year are YA publishing and audiobooks, with two seminars covering promotion – Successful PR & Marketing and Collaborative Digital Marketing. There will also be sessions on brand licensing, how to find and work with a literary agent and understanding the publishing landscape.
The Author HQ seminar programme will feature:
• An introduction to Kindle Direct Publishing: Hear about the writing and publishing experience of some bestselling authors in a daily author panel discussion that will cover How to Get Started (Tuesday); Finding Readers Through Marketing and Engagement (Wednesday) and Tools and Best Practice (Thursday), with special author guests
• Demystifying Book Distribution for Authors and Publishers – What is it and how does it work? (sponsored by IngramSpark): Including the different distribution models available to authors and publishers, as well as which models can reduce financial risks and set authors up for success in the marketplace
• How I Write – David Baldacci: International No. 1 bestselling writer David Baldacci will be discussing his writing methods and creative approach, in conversation with Mark Lawson
• Bringing Blockchain to publishing – funding books like never before: An insight into the benefits authors can gain by using blockchain and cryptocurrency technology to innovate in how books are funded, distributed, bought, and read
• Nielsen Book: Books & Consumers annual survey – understanding consumer book buying behaviour: The Nielsen Book team will be presenting highlights of their annual Books & Consumers survey – the publishing industry’s exclusive resource for understanding consumer book buying behaviours.
• Why We Commissioned These Debuts: What are publishers commissioning, how are they going about finding new talent and what is selling in today’s market?
• The Agony and Ecstasy of becoming a Self-Publisher: How to make it fun and profitable (sponsored by IngramSpark): Insights from authors who have successfully launched their own publishing businesses while learning pitfalls to avoid as a new self-published author (sponsored by IngramSpark)
The Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) will present a seminar titled Get A Self-Publishing 3.0 Mindset: You’re not just a writer, you’re a creative entrepreneur and The Society of Authors will be presenting two seminars – one on privacy, defamation and character rights and a second seminar that will look at the key points to watch out for in contracts. The Society of Authors will also be offering free 10-minute advice surgeries on any aspect of the profession, that can be booked on the day at Author HQ’s front desk.
There will also be guest appearances by LBF’s Authors of the Day, with Joanna Trollope and Dame Jacqueline Wilson, and end of day networking drinks on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons for Author HQ attendees.
On Thursday afternoon Author HQ will again host LBF’s The Write Stuff competition – a “Dragon’s Den” style panel event that will see six authors pitch their books to a panel of literary agents, and the Author HQ audience. This year’s panel of judges includes representatives from Felicity Bryan Associates, Jo Unwin Literary Agency, Marjacq, MBA and Peters Fraser & Dunlop.
In addition, aspiring authors and established authorpreneurs will be able to meet the book marketing and production experts offering the go-to solutions for self-publishing success in Writer’s Block (stand no: 1F50), the destination for Author Services at the Fair, located next to Author HQ (stand no: 1F60).
All Author HQ events are free-to-attend with the purchase of a three-day Visitor pass which also includes access to LBF’s extensive Insights Seminar programme of 200+ events covering all aspects of the publishing industry. Seminar places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.