France, China, USA, South Africa and Canada lead the way.
LONDON, 08 February 2017: The shortlist for The London Book Fair International Excellence Awards 2017 has been announced, with France leading the way with four nominations and China, USA, South Africa and Canada not far behind with three each.
The awards, which are held in partnership with the UK Publishers Association (PA) and sponsored by Hytex, celebrate excellence in sixteen categories, including international publishing, academic and scholarly publishing, children’s publishing, literary translation and digital innovation. In each award category, the judging panel was comprised of experts in that sector.
The Literary Agent Award promises to be a close battle between Nermin Mollaoglu (Kalem Agency – Turkey), Pierre Astier (Astier-Pecher Literary Agency – France), and Anna Soler-Pont (Pontas Literary and Film Agency – Spain). The Bookstore of the Year Award, sponsored by Gardners Books Ltd, sees nominees from three continents – Shakespeare and Company (France), Time Out Bookstore (New Zealand) and Exclusive Books (South Africa) – looking to take the crown from last year’s winner Readings (Australia).
Book Aid International (Africa), Open Book Festival (South Africa) and Wydawnictwo Dwie Siostry (Poland) have been shortlisted for a second consecutive year in their respective categories.
France (4), China (3), USA (3), South Africa (3), Canada (3) and India (2) all received multiple entries. Lithuania is represented for the first time in the award’s four-year history, in the Educational Learning Resources category.
Jacks Thomas, Director, The London Book Fair, said: “I am delighted that the 2017 International Excellence Awards shortlist is truly global, with all five continents represented. The strength and breadth of the entrants on this list is impressive and is a testament to the passion, commitment and creativity of all those involved in publishing, selling and bringing books to a wider audience. What better place than the globally focussed, multicultural and creative hub of London to bring all these talented individuals and inspiring organisations together? I’m very much looking forward to welcoming the shortlisted nominees to London in March, to celebrate their success.”
Stephen Lotinga, Chief Executive, the Publishers Association, said: “These awards uniquely celebrate the global publishing industry here in London. We are especially delighted to see the introduction of the Inclusivity in Publishing award for publishers who are excelling in their efforts to improve inclusivity in the publishing supply chain. This award, together with the other UK awards which recognise young and upcoming talent in our industry and efforts from the industry to improve the supply chain for accessible publishing, showcases a real cross-section of excellence in publishing.”
- The Academic and Professional Publisher Award, supported by Research Information
- CSIRO Publishing (Australia)
- Journal of Zhejiang University-Science (JZUS) (China)
- OECD Publishing (France)
- The Educational Initiatives Award
- Book Aid International (Africa)
- Caramel Tree (Canada)
- Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing Co., Ltd (China)
- The Educational Learning Resources Award, supported by China Publishing & Media Journal
- Eduexpert (Poland)
- EssayJack Inc. (Canada)
- Lithuanian Free Market Institute (Lithuania)
- The Literary Translation Initiative Award
- Arabic Literature (in English)
- The Short Story Project (Israel)
- The Select Centre (Singapore)
- World Literature Today (USA)
- The Literary Agent Award
- Anna Soler-Pont, Pontas Literary & Film Agency (Spain)
- Nermin Mollaoglu, Kalem Agency (Turkey)
- Pierre Astier, Astier-Pecher Literary Agency (France)
- The Literary Festival Award, supported by The International Literary Showcase
- Bookaroo Trust – Festival of Children’s Literature (India)
- George Town Literary Festival (Malaysia)
- Open Book Festival (South Africa)
- The Bookstore of the Year Award sponsored by Gardners Books Ltd
- Exclusive Books (South Africa)
- Shakespeare and Company (France)
- Time Out Bookstore (New Zealand)
- The Rights Professional Award
- Hui Hou, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing Co., Ltd (China)
- Heidi Warneke, Editions Grasset (France)
- Rose Janssens, Clavis Publishing (Belgium)
Eligible for entries from Market Focus Poland only:
- The Market Focus Poland Adult Trade Publisher Award
- SIW ZNAK sp. z.o.o (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Literackie (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Czarne (Poland)
- The Market Focus Poland Trade Children’s and Young Adult Publisher Award
- Wydawnictwo Dwie Siostry (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Widnokrag (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Otwarte Sp. z o.o. (Poland)
Eligible for entries from all countries, including the UK:
- The Brand Licensing Award
- Kaiken Publishing (Angry Birds) (Finland)
- The Roald Dahl Literary Estate (UK)
- Walker Books (UK)
- The Quantum Publishing Innovation Award, supported by Copyright Clearance Center and Ixxus
- Cambridge Core (UK)
- Cartoon Abstracts (UK)
- Lost my name (UK)
- NearSt (UK)
- Wattpad (Canada)
- Accessible Books Consortium International Excellence Award: Publisher
- Picsterbooks (South Africa)
- SAGE Publishing (UK)
- VitalSource Technologies (USA)
- Accessible Books Consortium International Excellence Award: Initiative
- JISC (UK)
- Tata Consultancy Services (India)
- Tiflonexos (Argentina)
Eligible for entries from the UK only:
- Inclusivity in Publishing Award, supported by Equip
- Cassava Republic Press (UK)
- HarperCollins Publishers (UK)
- Team Angelica Publishing (UK)
The winners of several other Awards will also be presented on the night including The Simon Master’s Chairman Award, The Association for Publishing Education (APE) Student Awards and The LBF Trailblazer Awards.
The London Book Fair Lifetime Achievement Award will also be presented at the ceremony.
The LBF International Excellence Awards is an invitation-only event and takes place on Tuesday 14 March 2017 in The Conference Centre, Olympia, London.
– END –
For further information about The London Book Fair International Excellence Awards 2017, please contact:
Ashley Baugh at Midas Public Relations on 0207 361 7860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 SHOW DATES
14-16 MARCH 2017
THE LONDON BOOK FAIR, OLYMPIA, LONDON
Notes to editors:
THE LONDON BOOK FAIR (LBF)
The London Book Fair (LBF) is the global marketplace for rights negotiation and the sale and distribution of content across print, audio, TV, film and digital channels. Taking place every spring in the world’s premier publishing and cultural capital, it is a unique opportunity to explore, understand and capitalise on the innovations shaping the publishing world of the future. LBF brings you direct access to customers, content and emerging markets. LBF 2017, the 46th Fair, will take place from 14 – 16 March 2017, Olympia London. LBF’s London Book and Screen Week will run for the third year, with the book fair as the pivotal three-day event within a seven-day programme. London Book and Screen Week will begin on Monday 13 March. For further information, please visit www.londonbookfair.co.uk.
THE UK PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION (The PA)
The Publishers Association represents the interests of UK publishers across trade, education and academic publishers. Our members publish academic journals, textbooks for higher, secondary and primary education, fiction, non-fiction, children’s and learning resources. As a whole, the industry contributes over £4.4bn to the UK economy with digital revenues contributing 32% and export sales accounting for 43%.
Hytex has been providing the publishing industry with high quality, innovative design and bespoke built exhibition stands for over 25 years, delivering a complete service with full support. Design-Build-Graphics-Installation. Official stand contractor for LBF 2017.
GARDNERS BOOKS LTD
Established 30 years ago, Gardners has grown to become a leading international wholesaler of books, eBooks, music and film to retailers in the UK & around the world. Based out of a 350,000 square foot facility in Eastbourne, Gardners stock range offers retailers access to over 500,000 lines in-stock and ready to ship same day to any UK address, as well as 1.5 million+ eBooks available for instant fulfilment to consumers.
We work with thousands of multi-channel retailers, both online and on the high street, to supply physical & digital product to their exacting standards, either back to store or direct to consumer through our proven consumer direct fulfilment service (CDF)
Gardners parent Company ‘The Little Group” was listed in this years ‘Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200’ which ranks Britain’s mid-market private companies by fastest-growing overseas sales. The Little Group includes specialist companies trading in Public and Academic Library Supply, School & FE supply and music exporting & importing, with bases in Preston, Hull, London and Florida.
About Reed Exhibitions Books & Publishing
Reed Exhibitions Books & Publishing portfolio consists of six trade and public book fairs taking place in some of the most important and dynamic book markets in the world: Brazil, France, Japan, UK and USA. Bienal do Livro São Paulo, BookExpo America, eBooks, Salon du Livre, The London Book Fair and Tokyo International Book Fair, collectively attract over 770,000 participants and 2,600 primary exhibitors and rights centre table holders, interested in buying or selling intellectual property rights, buying, selling or specifying titles, discovering the latest trends in publishing, understanding new markets or meeting authors and discovering new titles.
Working closely with professional bodies, trades associations and government departments, Reed Exhibitions Books & Publishing portfolio ensures that each and every event is targeted and relevant to the book and publishing industry’s needs. As a result, many of Reed Exhibitions books and publishing events are leaders in their markets.
About Reed Exhibitions
Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events organizer, with over 500 events in 41 countries. In 2012 Reed brought together seven million active event participants from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organized by 34 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 44 industry sectors with trade and consumer events and is part of the Reed Elsevier Group, a world-leading provider of professional information solutions.